Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Okay, Okay, Football is Fun - I Just Forgot

On Sunday I went with the husband to watch his CFL team - the Winnipeg Blue Bombers - play the game that would determine if they would continue in their pursuit of the Grey Cup (the Canadian equivalent of the Superbowl).

I usually make a stink when I have to go to football games because I always seem to forget how much fun they are. But really, I enjoy watching the games, I understand football, and when the guy beside you is literally vibrating with excitement just to be there, it's hard not to get caught up in it all (just look at his happy face!).

I think it was somewhere during the third quarter that I started praying. Yes, praying. For a football game. Believe me, I'm as shocked as you are.

You'd think I was a die-hard Bomber fan or something, or had a substantial wager hanging in the balance. But no, it was more that I thought the boys deserved it, and that I was caught up in the excitement - but mostly, I wanted the husband to be happy.

That man can sport a bad mood over football for much, much longer than should be reasonably acceptable. And before the second quarter was over I could see his jaw beginning to set, and see the irritation on his face...well, that, and he was spewing curse words like he only had those four hours to use them, so I knew that if I was to avoid a week of misery, this game would have to make a turnaround.

It was nail-biting and heart stopping right to the literal end, when the Bombers won by two points in the last 5 seconds of the game. Now the husband's beloved football team are still in the picture for winning the Grey Cup and I have a happy husband. Thank god.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

The funny thing is, I've tried to watch my temper lately....I'm trying to produce good Karma.

Good thing the Bombers won, otherwise I may have reverted back to old grumpy Chris.....;)

8:49 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Your football is so much better than our soccer. Love it when things are that close - 5 seconds! Doesn't get much better than that!

BTW, I know I have only seen American Football and that the Canadian version is much better (another Canadian friend of mine has already put me straight about that).

3:46 AM  
Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

The parts that I watched were pretty exciting!

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home