Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Momma

Since I've posted about nearly everyone else that I love, I figured it might be time to post about one of the reasons I'm alive - my mom.

I have attempted to write this post many times before, but struggle with it continuously because my mom and I have a very "passionate" relationship.

For much of my life, my mom and I have existed in a perpetual state of stubbornness and haughtiness towards each other. Now, don't get me wrong, we love each other very much and are happy a lot too (especially since I moved out at 18), but we argue...a lot. And neither of us back down...ever. It can be quite frustrating - especially for the men in our lives.

My mom is an Aries - the bull - for those of you that don't know your astrology. I, obviously, am a Gemini - the twins - or split personality.
My mom brings out the asshole twin in me, and I bring out the bull in her. The thing with our relationship is, when it's good - it's very good. And when it's bad - it's fireworks kind of bad.

When we are getting along we laugh and carry on, once in a I can get her to goof off, and she occasionally still chases me up the stairs pinching my butt while I scream and laugh. Those times are great, when we're both relaxed and happy and can actually enjoy each other.
But when one, or both (which is a very scary situation) of us is feeling bitchy, we are vicious. I think part of the reason is that my dad and brother don't call my mom on anything. When she is cranky, or miserable, or wrong about something, they just let her be and let her pretend that she was right, even though she was wrong. I don't. I will confront her if I feel she is out of line, usually it starts off calm, with me trying to explain what I think, but quickly escalates into yelling, on both our parts. This always pisses her off, and usually ends up with her stomping out of the room and pouting for a couple days. Yes, days.
She is the pout queen - for those of you that think I'm good at pouting, I learned it from her, and she's better at it. The only thing is, my pouts are usually a cute attempt, or an "I really want my way" attempt - but when she does it it's scary. It's a grudging kind of pout.

Lately things have been great - when we go home or they come into the city she's usually excited to see me. We've been fighting a lot less this year. Hmm, now that I think about it, we've been fighting a lot less since my baby mess at the end of last year. Maybe that scary situation has forced us to appreciate each other more.

Regardless, as dramatic and loud as we get, she loves me and I love her. Moms and daughters are supposed to be this way, right?

6 Comments:

Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

..

10:37 PM  
Blogger mr zig said...

I like your mom... she knows stuff and answers my weird questions

11:07 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

I think you get that sort of relationship when 2 people are very alike...

3:42 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I don't know because I'm neither.. but I thought this worth noting:

"When she is cranky, or miserable, or wrong about something, they just let her be and let her pretend that she was right, even though she was wrong."

Men have adapted this as survival insticnt, because we all know, (as you pointed out) she ain't backing down -- so why argue?

7:50 AM  
Blogger Logzie said...

My Mom is the same way. I used to fight her on it and now I just let her go. I can relate.

I love my Mom too.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what's worse... the kind of relationship you have, or the kind my mom and I have. (When she doesn't like something I'm doing, she doesn't say anything to me. She tells one of my siblings, who then tell me. Then I feel like I can't tell her I know.) Yeah, the mom-daughter relationship can be a tough one.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home