Monday, May 07, 2007

Windblown Goddess or Knotty Haired Wannabe?

What is it about driving on summery days that offers up such sex appeal?

There is just something about driving through the city with the windows down, music blaring, sunglasses on, and the wind whipping through my hair that makes me feel like some sort of goddess.
At each red light I slow down and focus on the song that's on the radio or cd player and sing at the top of my lungs while I wait for the light to turn green.
Invariably I get looks from people in other vehicles - sometimes a disapproving glance from an elderly husband and wife, an "I'm way cooler than you" sneer from the 18 year old in the next car, the occasional appreciative glance from a truckful of construction workers, and sometimes a smile from the other 20 or 30 somethings who recognize the tune and are singing along as well.
As the light turns green I focus back on the road, but for some reason feel sexier because now my black hair is whipping around my face and stretching out the window, caught in the swirling wind.

The thing is - there is really nothing sexy about the whole scene. Every second car has got another girl in it doing the exact same thing, though usually they are true girls of summer because they have long golden locks and sun kissed skin. Half the time the music is something only I would enjoy, and some people are probably annoyed that I have it cranked so loud. And at the end of the day when I get home, my hair is such a mess, that it takes me 15 minutes just to work through all the knots.

Yet still, still I love the idea of getting up and driving to work every morning just so I can do it. And I love it even more in the evenings, with the hot afternoon sun shining and warming my arms and legs.

Oh summer, how I've missed you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Logzie said...

I can't stand to have the windows down because when it does blow my hair everywhere...it tickles me face!!!

If it wasn't for that part, then your description would sound fantastic!

I love how you enjoy the simple things in life Ali! :0)

7:34 PM  
Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

What a great summer scene you've described. I SO need to do that tomorrow morning.
I now carpool with my new roommate so he better be joining me or he'll be taking the bus!

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home