Sunday, May 06, 2007

Peach Bellinis and Grape Walls

It has been a couple busy days for me. The husband left for Ontario bright and early Friday morning, and so I took Friday and Saturday to do some girly and work related stuff.

Friday was frantic - lots of stuff coming in and out and some deadlines I was trying to hit, which, for the most part, I did - yay! During our lunch hour (which turned into nearly 2 hours - but shhhhh) Krista, Zig and I headed to Home Depot for some supplies.

Supplies? For what?
Well, because there has been so much turmoil at work lately which is slowly but surely getting cleaned up, most people have been in a much better mood. And since we've all switched offices recently and all have our own now, we decided that it would be nice to get rid of our plain, white, scuffed and molested walls and to have some colour in there. We had to pick from a certain selection of colours that the "building" agrees with, but we were all happy and decided on what we would like.


Since we volunteered to do it on our own and come in on a weekend, our boss offered to pay for all our painting supplies and enough beer and pizza to get us through the day. To most people that still wouldn't be much of an incentive for the manual labour, but as many of you know, the three of us really love our jobs, plus we have lots of fun hanging out together. So the idea of beer, food, comfy clothes, loud music and "new" offices sounded like a great idea to us.

So, whoa, back on track here.

Friday we got all our supplies, and then at 5 o'clock I had a date with a Princess. For any of you that might be wondering - I'm meaning Princess of the Universe, whom I have recently met and have come to like a lot. She is fabulous - funny, sweet, silly, pretty...exactly what a good girlfriend should be.
So we met at a restaurant not far from where we both work - annoyed our waitress by never being ready to order because we were too busy gabbing to look at the menu's, and ate till I was almost ready to be sick. It was great.
I got to have my first...and second...white peach bellinis of the year (my mouth is watering just thinking about it) and we even ordered dessert, which I never do.

I couldn't finish my supper (though I did pretty good!) but I almost finished every last bite of this ice cream, caramel and toffee, diabetic coma on a plate. Oh man, sooooo good.
Poor Princess, it took me so long to eat because I was talking so much, she must have had a headache by the time we left.


Saturday morning I woke up bright and early, pulled on a pair of the husband's hospital scrubs and a bright red t-shirt, pulled my hair back and slipped on my flip-flops. Then loaded myself up with a step-ladder, coffee, garbage bags and rags, and made my way downtown.

When I got there Zig already had AC/DC so loud that the walls were shaking and we began unloading all my stuff. Krista came in a couple minutes later with fans and dropsheets and we got down to business.
My office is the corner office (not so glamourous as it sounds - believe me) and has three huge windows - so I opted to use the same dark grape/charcoal colour on all the walls. With that much natural light it stilll looks bright even with the dark colour.

Krista and Zig both decided to do that same dark colour on one wall, then use this yellowy, toffee sort of colour on their other three. Krista made the observation that it looked kind of like peanut butter and jelly, so I spent the rest of the day walking into both of their offices singing the "Peanut Butter Jelly Time" song.


Despite the physical labour, we spent a lot of the day laughing and singing along to AC/DC. We each ordered an extra large pizza for lunch, and had a Heineken or two, or three, or four, or five throughout the day. I knew it would be fun, but I didn't think it would be that much fun.

The last hour we were there Krista and Zig were being fabulous employees and moving all their furniture back into place, hanging up their frames, hooking up their computers. But me? I pushed my desk back, pulled my filing cabinet in from the hall, put my bulletin board up and went and sat in the kitchen for another beer and piece of pizza.
Zig came in and was telling me about how sore his feet were and I kind of laughed and told him that mine didn't - teasing him that he was getting old.
But holy crap - my body rebelled overnight and seized up on me. Today I am walking around in my pj's like an 85 year old woman - all bent over and going "Ah, my legs...ooh, my back...shit, my wrist" - apparently I am old too. But it will be worth the pain tomorrow - when I walk in to my grape office and feel a little shiver of happiness.

Oh, the husband just walked in the door - and since it's been 3 days since I've seen him - I should go and be wifey. Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!

6 Comments:

Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

I had an absolutely fabulous night on Friday!
No headaches, lots of giggling, and thanks for all the compliments!
I will have to stop by your offices soon and see the fabulous grape decor!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

In the south we call that "all stoved up". It happens to me when I play too much golf. You get stiff and sore and can't hardly move.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great couple of days! That was a fun post!

7:53 PM  
Blogger mr zig said...

I'm glad to hear you were sore today! haha - It bothered me that you weren't sore on saturday! - and oh - today I stopped in at the office to clean up the last few things - and to eat the pizza we left in the fridge - mmmm it was so good!!! and our offices look totally awesome! I'm excited to get back in to the office tommorow! *yes I know how nerdy that is

11:04 PM  
Blogger Logzie said...

I am sorry you are sore...welcome to old age my darlin. Not fun!

Your grape walls sound fabulous! Be sure and take a picture of when it's all put back together...

5:04 AM  
Blogger krista said...

I had a lot of fun on Saturday! But my wrist is sore just typing this right now! My back was killing me and I had to work for my mom on Sunday (yesterday)! I think moving around Sunday helped. We'll see what I'm like at the end of today! Glad to hear that you two were sore too! I thought maybe it was because I'm the old lady! Ha! I can still keep up with you young 'uns!

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home