Monday, May 14, 2007

So Very, Very Tired

Sigh, here we are again...Monday.
I'm actually in a great mood but am feeling a little lethargic. It could be because I didn't crawl into bed until 1am. I got sidetracked by all the good movies on tv and then nearly fell off the couch when I dragged my eyes away from the tv long enough to look at the clock. That was too late, even by my standards!

It could also (and more likely) be because the husband was snoring. Again. He seems to be on a roll with it lately. I even had him pick up a box of Breathe Right Strips the other day because they've helped in the past - but this time around they only seem to bring him to a new height of annoyance.

For now he is not simply snoring - but making gurgles, and half words, and squeaks, and whistles, and sounds as though he's speaking some sort of language.

Usually when the snoring starts things go down like this: I sigh loudly to partially wake him up, hoping he'll move on his own and cease the snoring. Next I will shift around on my side, hoping again that it will be enough to stir him. Thirdly I will kick one foot down hard on the mattress, in a more aggressive approach to the "innocent" wake up. If that doesn't work I will mumble obscenities to myself then softly say "baby, roll over." If there is still no response my voice will go up a couple of octaves and I will half yell "Christopher, roll over!" And if that doesn't work I will grab his arm, or kick him (whichever happens first) and yell "Dammit Chris, roll over before I friggin' kill you!"

Now usually I get the job done by the softly calling him baby and asking him to roll over, but there have been occasions that have called for the most aggressive approach - and, if all else fails, either me banishing him to the spare bedroom or stomping out myself in the middle of the night.

But last night was scary. He was making all these gurgly sounds and then all of a sudden I wouldn't hear anything for like 10 seconds. Then he would be noisy again for a minute or two and then it would be dead silent. I tried to wake him up by talking to him, asking him if he was okay. No response except then the gurgling/snoring started again. I laid my head back down and waited and sure enough he was silent again so I grabbed his arm and shook him. No response for a few seconds and then more snoring. I started panicking and sat there listening for him. The next time he was quiet I turned on my lamp and sat up in bed and grabbed his face. He didn't even flinch when the light went on and I had to call him a couple times to get him to respond.

I asked him if he took anything before bed and he half mumbled that he did last night, which I still don't know meant Sunday night or Saturday night. His allergies have been acting up and he's been taking Benadryl so I was wondering if maybe he had taken one that was making him groggy.

By 4:30 this morning I had had enough and he was snoring consistently enough for me to believe he wasn't going to die - so I got up for the day. By 5:30 I was ready for work - never mind the fact that I don't start till 8.

Sheesh, three and a half hours of broken sleep just isn't enough for me...I wonder how long it will take before I crash for the day? And oh joy of joys, tonight is baseball - which means beer - which means more snoring.

Wish me luck.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to scare you, but the snore, silence, snore thing sounds like sleep apnea. Might be worth checking into it.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I vaguely remember you waking me up, but I think the Benedryl played a part in the drowsiness too.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Logzie said...

You are nicer than me! I go right to the yelling "Chuck, wake up!...Roll over!". Ok, on a night that I am feeling nice, I will kick the bed and cough loudly but if that doesn't work it's right back to yelling!!

When Chuck is gone for work, I usually wake up feeling so rested because I actually got solid sleep!

I think there have been studies that have videotaped couples sleeping where one snores and the results were crazy about how many times the 'other' person wakes us during the night. I can't remember the exact statistic but it was bad.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

My wife is the one that snores, which is OK because I can sleep through just about anything!

5:47 AM  
Blogger krista said...

When Ricky snores I hold his nose closed until he gasps for a breath and turns over. I've found this is the only way to get him to stop. Kinda makes me feel better in a warped way too! Please note I haven't tried this since his heart attack.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Friendly Manitoban said...

I hope you survived baseball and beer!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

Honey did you have a better night last night?

9:02 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

I DID have a better night last night Princess, thanks for asking.
For some reason he didn't seem to snore as much - but that could be because I was so tired that I was nearly in a coma, so I just didn't hear him.
Either way, I feel much better today!

And thank you to the rest of you as well - it's nice to know that I am not the only one that occasionally resorts to violence or yelling!

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home