Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Crazy...Like a Fox

So, here's the thing about me...I'm what you might call a wild person. Other adjectives often used to describe me and my personality are crazy, outrageous, eccentric, peculiar, and the like.

Now I'm not crazy like I'm going to put a booger in your sandwich, or run naked into traffic on the highway, or even set a building on fire. Nothing so severe as that.

I'm more likely to be the person you will find having a shrieking laughing fit in the middle of a crowded restaurant, or running and screaming down a concourse because a co-worker is chasing me, or flashing someone from my office window. And every "crazy" thing I do is purely in the name of fun, never to hurt anyone else or cause them discomfort.

I was raised to be vocal, and outspoken, and not shy in the least - by my dad that is. I've told you before about my mom and how she thinks I'm ridiculous - but my dad has always encouraged me to be myself. He always says "you just be yourself babe, don't worry what anyone else thinks." I can't tell you how grateful I am that he instilled that in me.

When I met Chris it was a match made in heaven. He was the wild one in his class at school too, and we went together like peas and carrots. Over the years he has calmed down quite a bit, but he still gets wound up once in a while and we almost die from laughing so hard. But most of the time it's me being wild and him laughing away.

Over my life I've only met a handful of people that can really handle me when I'm being my complete and honest self ; the husband, my best friend Monica (the Bahama Mama), my friend Rachel, my dad, and now a couple of co-workers. I know that the way I am makes some people uncomfortable, and most probably wish I was a little more mature - but this is the way I am. I probably have more fun in a day than 3 people put together.

Occasionally people do get to me. Snippy comments, shitty attitudes and snotty looks sometimes make me feel badly and that maybe I should try to be more subdued. But then, those fabulous people that support me (England James as of late) remind me that it's always better to be true to yourself, and I remember that they are right.

So, this is me, wild and crazy, take me or leave me.

15 Comments:

Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

I absolutely adore the way you are-don't change a thing!

In fact help me to be more outgoing! I just cancelled on a cocktail party this weekend cause the thought of having to make small talk with strangers terrifies me!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

I have twice run naked in the streets back in college. It was called streaking.

5:19 AM  
Blogger krista said...

Your are perfect the way you are, Ali. Don't worry about the people that don't get it. I feel good coming in to work everyday knowing you are here because I know you will pull me out of my shell and make my day a fabulous one!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

Well, I don't know you very well yet, but am pretty sure I accept you as your crazy and wild self.
I've been known to be somewhat overly silly at time *cough* so it's always awesome to hang with those who are outgoing.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I've always been one to shy away from crazy people. I'm a very serious person after all... seriously... now if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to do some serious work.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

We have always told our kids that you should be yourself and if others don't like it and want to waste their time trying to be someone they are not, that is their problem.

Stay as you are, you are wonderful.

4:53 AM  
Blogger mr zig said...

who says "Crazy Like a Fox"? thats soooooo weird (hehe)

9:16 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

This weird designer I know says "crazy like a fox" - I keep insisting that it's "SLY like a fox" but he's very difficult to argue with. ;)

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking it was Duran Duran that said "Crazy Like a Fox" but now that I think about it, that was actually "Hungry Like the Wolf." Yeah. Anyway... my favorite people in the world are people like you. My best friend may just be your long, lost twin.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Princess - I would LOVE to help you be more outgoing, but you would have to be willing to surrender all your common sense to me!
Reggie - I've never streaked completely naked, but I do like to flash people, and I have done some interesting shows involving windows and flesh and even chocolate sauce...
Krista - I love to make you laugh, and when I can make you crazy with me!
Irene and Mike - Hmmm, Mike knows what I can be like (he's one of my biggest supporters) and Irene - oh girl, just you wait.
John - thanks. It's nice to be accepted even when you're crazy - and you are wonderful too.
Zig - YOU are crazy like a fox too - for sure.
Terri - I have this sneaking suspicion (actually, it's a glaring one) that you are just as wild as I, and that we would get along famously.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Are you talking about pressing hams? We used to press hams on all the students studying in the library. We would pull down our pants and mash our butts up to the plate glass window, all the while knocking on the glass to draw attention. That is pressing hams. Or we would do a double moon. I bet you don't know what a double moon is.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Nope - not pressing hams...it involves things that only girls have...on their top half...you know...
And no, you're right - I have no idea what a double moon is, so please tell.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

The double moon. Take two immature college students. Both pull down your pants enough to exposes their ass for single, classic moon. Both stand back to back and interlock their arms while one rolls up on the back of the other while the other bends at the waist. Two moons are now exposed in one mass of humanity. This makes quite the presentation.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

LOL!!!!!
Oh my god, that is fantastic! Gross - but fantastic.
I can't believe I've never heard of that before. Thanks for sharing Reggie!

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suspect that if all of us ever met up sometime, there would be some wild and crazy antics going on. But for the record, I'm not crazy enough to attempt the double moon.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home