Tuesday, May 29, 2007

How Am I Supposed To Be Miserable With Friends Like These?

I was looking forward to today in a "I'm so miserable that I can't wait to have a terrible day" kind of way. You know, where you just feel wretched and all you want everyone to do is leave you alone to wallow in your misery?
It was in my favour that the weather seemed to have been chosen to suit my mood - it has been grey and foggy and rainy and cold here for nearly two weeks - with the same conditions expected for the rest of the week. Needless to say I felt right at home trudging out to my car in the fog, muttering to myself and nursing a headache and swollen eyelids.
Yes, as a sidenote, I've discovered that as I get older, my eyelids will get puffy after I cry. So, as you can imagine, I bawled my fool head off yesterday and was treated to slits for eyes this morning. Lovely.
Anyways, back to my terrible day.
I did my best to maintain my crankiness, and made it known to Zig and Krista that I was not to be made to laugh or smile under any circumstances and should be left alone to wallow in misery. Much to my chagrin, neither of them are very good listeners, and within the first 10 minutes I was laughing anyways. Though, in my defense, once I realized what was going on I tried very hard to put a scowl back on my face.
So, the day progressed, me trying desperately to maintain my funk, and my co-workers doing all that they could to make me laugh. Though they were saying things like "Don't you smile Ali - we don't want you to be happy today" and stuff to that effect, which of course makes me smile even more.
Then Princess of the Universe emailed me and wanted us to meet her for lunch in the building where she works. We decided when and where to meet and that was that. Once we got there I let her know about my miserable day, and that she was not to help the other two make me happy. It just so happens that she is not a very good listener either! Laughter abounded despite my best efforts.
This afternoon we had a production meeting where I got into a little bit of trouble (not really, but surprise! things are behind schedule in production! who would have thought?) and managed to give myself back a tiny bit of my crankiness. Yay!
After the meeting I was pouting to myself in my office when in walked one of my-coworkers with some flowers...for me! I was so excited I pulled out the vase pictured above which contained Gerber daisies, my absolute favourite flower. And then I pulled out the card - it went along the lines of "Hope today is treating you much nicer than yesterday" but in much more eloquent, Ali-friendly terms, and it was signed Princess of the Universe! Can you believe it? This girl and I have been on 3 official "dates" as friends and she is sending me flowers because of my girly meltdown.
As soon as I read the card I instantly felt much happier, so I called and scolded her for forcing sunshine on my rainy day parade. Princess, thank you again for the flowers - you have no idea how happy they made me!
But then, with all that happiness, how was I supposed to be miserable anymore? Honestly - could you have done it? I think not.
Oh yeah, then to top it off...this afternoon I got an email from Reggie being sweet as per usual, supporting me in my meltdown. Then I came home, the husband walked in 3 minutes later and he made me supper while I surfed the net.
These people may have ruined my miserable day but I love them all and am so happy that they did!

4 Comments:

Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

Sorry honey- I can't let my friends be unhappy 2 days in a row!!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Ali - don't let them win! If you want to be miserable, be MISERABLE!

:-)

4:16 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

You missed all sorts of opportunities to continue your misery. You should have balanced your checkbook or something. ;^)

6:11 AM  
Blogger Logzie said...

Glad you are feeling better Ali!

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home