Monday, May 21, 2007

8 Random Things

Terri tagged me late last week - sorry it took so long, I've been out of town - but I'm wondering if there are 8 things about me that you guys don't already know...oh wait, I'm having a brain wave...

1. I worked as a gas jockey from the ages of 13 - 15 at a local Shell station. One day we were swamped and I accidentally filled up a brand new Dodge truck with gas instead of diesel. I let the guy drive away and never told a soul. I'm sure his truck was ruined.

2. When I was working retail in Calgary, my boss, one of my co-workers and I were sitting near the front of the store taking our afternoon break. I was facing the stock room and saw someone (a child I thought) run across towards where we kept our purses. I started running to the back of the store to freak the kid out, but as I came around the corner I saw this huge guy! About 6'3", shaved head, muscle shirt with tattoos all up his arms, and he was standing there holding my bosses purse in his hands. I started screaming "what the hell do you think you're doing!" and running towards him and he jumped back and ran around the stock shelves. I turned around and started running parallel to him screaming my head off and he kept running.
What exactly I thought I was going to do to this guy I have no idea, but I chased him right out of the building - yay for adrenalin!

3. Now this is going to sound stupid after the story above...but, I am incapable of running away from people that are chasing me. As soon as I hear footsteps moving towards me at a quick pace I immediately scream and begin to run in small circles, or press myself up against the nearest wall. I have absolutely no idea why I do this, it's annoying really. My husband and co-workers often take advantage of this for a laugh. I seriously hope that if I ever needed to run for my life I wouldn't be such a dipshit.

4. I used to be a chain-smoker. In college especially I would smoke all day. Every one of my classmates smoked, and most of my professors, and sometimes we would even have class outside just so that we could smoke. In the evenings when I was writing I would sit at my desk with one foot underneath me, the other up on my desk, an ashtray balanced on my knee and a cigarette hanging from my lips. Yuck.

5. The sound, feel, and sight of terracotta pots makes me want to throw up. (I'm gagging just thinking about it.) Something about the texture and the way they sound rubbing against each other or any other surface gives me chills down my spine and makes me feel nauseated.

6. For some reason I tend to think of myself as some kind of fist fighting champion. It's not that I've been in a lot of fights, but I'm pretty mouthy and apparently I have a hard punch (or so the wimpy boys keep telling me). Now really, I don't know if, push came to shove, I could really beat someone up - but dammit, the time that Chris had to carry me out of a social because I was trying to kill this girl who had just sent my friend to the hospital - that made me feel like I could take on anyone.

7. When I drive by my grandparent's house in Ontario I have to honk 5 times. It doesn't matter what time of day or night it is, or if they're home - I have to honk.

8. I'm wishing I never would have agreed to be a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding in June. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Now here we are, 3 weeks before the wedding and I'm finally remembering why I hate being a bridesmaid. A $300 dress that is cut so low (in the front and back!) that I'm wondering if they'll even let us in the church, a bride and mother-of-the-bride that are slowly but surely driving me crazy, showers, lingerie parties, makeup, shoes, hair, presents...like I said, stupid.

Wow, this kind of turned into 8 mini stories instead of 8 random things - sorry about that. And since I'm sure that most people have already been tagged, I'm going to tag the husband to see if he can come up with some stuff that even I don't know about him.

7 Comments:

Blogger Trixie said...

These things are always fun to read.

$300 for a BM dress? Honestly, that is too much for a dress that your BMs will only wear 1x...

Good for you for kicking the chain smoking habit.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

Thanks for quitting smoking dear! That makes me so happy!

And I kind of agree with you on the terracotta thing- especially the sound. Ugh, nails on chalkboard...

10:23 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

I love the thought of you chasing that guy out of the shop. Things like that warm my heart.

Good that you gave up the smoking - over here we have Aldi food stores have the motto "spend a little, live a lot. Smoking is the reverse, "spend a lot, live a little".

5:03 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

What were to happen if you were to honk one less or one more? Would grandpa step out on the front porch with a shotgun or something? :)

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is funny about the terracotta pots!
I too applaud you for quitting smoking. It will sure do a number on you as the years go by. I can tell a long time smoker by looking at their skin. It is wrinkled and has a greyish tint. Who wants that!
I love that you chased the bad guy away!

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how you wrote this. The mini stories are so fun, and just further prove what a fun and crazy person you are! Loved it! Thanks for playing along.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Trixie - I know, $300 is ridiculous...I wish I at least looked good in the stupid thing.
Princess - yay! Another person for the "I hate Terracotta" club.
John - it's amazing what a little adrenaline can do for someone, I was pumped!
Double A - LOL! No, my grandparents don't care if I honk or not, and honestly probably can't hear it anyways. It's just some sort of OCD habit I have.
Judy - I know! Ewwww, who wants grey skin?
Terri - yep, I'm crazy. Thanks for asking me to play.
And to all of you - thanks for the praise on quitting smoking - it was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home