Thursday, January 01, 2009

Ah 2008, It Was a Good Year

I would have to say that 2008 was a much better year than the one before. In 2007 things were so messed up - working crazy hours, dealing with tragedy, medication/appointments to get pregnant. But this past year has been quite amazing in so many ways.

Do I have regrets? Hell yes. Did I make some stupid decisions? Most definitely. But was it still an amazing year? Don't I know it.


Here, in no particular order, are some highlights and lowlights:

Best of the Best: The birth of Ellery Anne Elizabeth on May 13
th. No one has ever made me happier, or made my life more whole than that miracle baby. She is the sunshine of my life and makes every day the best one so far.

My Most Played Songs: Southern Girl (Amos Lee), Love Song (Sarah Bareilles), It Never Entered My Mind (Miles Davis), Magic Man (Heart), Baby I Got Your Money (Old Dirty Bastard), I’m Yours (Jason Mraz), Sweet Pea (Amos Lee), Hot Child in the City (Joan Jett), Baby I Love You (Rheostatics), My Girl (The Temptations), Leave the Pieces (The Wreckers), Rock & Roll Queen (The Subways), and a lot of rap and R&B – what can I say, Ellery likes a good beat.

Biggest Musical Surprise: That I don’t totally hate Taylor Swift - though I’m embarrassed that I just confessed that.

Stupidest Reason To Sulk: There are way too many of these to pick just one…but maybe…um, when I was sulking because the husband actually bought me flowers, but he bought them on a Friday when I was leaving the city for 4 days, so I knew they’d be dead by the time I got home? I should have just been happy he thought to buy them.

My Trendiest Moment: I think I was pretty much the farthest thing from trendy in 2008 – must work on that for 2009!

Most Innocent Comment: That time watching TV with my uncle when some girl slapped on her O face for the sake of getting it over with, and I said “She faked it!”, then had to explain to my uncle how I
knew she had faked it…so awkward.

Best Movie Seen in a Theater: I would have to say
Horton Hears a Who, and that’s only because it is literally the only movie I can remember seeing last year. We went to see it just days before Ellery was born, and she kicked through the whole thing - I do remember it being a very cute movie.

Favorite Television Show:
Brothers & Sisters; I’m sure it will be my favourite till it goes off the air.

Best Books I Read: The only thing I’ve actually read is
What to Expect the First Year, which is so not what this question is asking.

Books I Couldn’t Finish: Anything I’ve picked up? I’m usually either too busy or too tired to read these days.

Worst Written Book: Who knows?

Unhealthiest New Habit: This one is sort of a renewal of an old bad habit…I’ve stopped eating during the day again. When I was pregnant I made sure to eat all day long, but now that Ellery is here I’ve gone back to finally remembering to eat somewhere around supper time. It’s not so good for the energy supply.

Healthiest New Habit: Uh…*giggle* …healthy habit? Ummmm, yeah, don’t think I’ve developed any of those…whoops.

Favourite Electronic Toys: The iPod touch that I literally bought yesterday, on the last day of the year. It makes me super happy. Oh, and the PVR (or DVR, depending on what you call it) is awesome.

Best Getaway: Getting to spend about 4 weeks straight at my parents’ house in
Ontario just after Ellery was born – that was the best thing I could have done.

Best New Addition to the Food Rotation (homemade): I don’t know what it’s called (got the recipe from my mom), so I’m just going to call it
Cheezy Chicken Broccoli Brown Rice Heaven in a Pan. It makes my mouth water.



Best New Addition to the Food Rotation (ordered in): The spicy ginger beef from our Chinese takeout place…mmmm.

Best New Addition to the Food Rotation (bought in a box): Ellery’s rice pablum. You may think I’m nuts, but I love baby pablum.

Scariest Moment: Looking at that heart rate monitor when I was in labour and knowing that Ellery was in trouble.

Longest Wait: The whole “Induce her/put her on the waiting list/induce her/put her on the waiting list debacle” – as if being on bedrest the month before that wasn’t enough of a wait.

Worst Pain: Back labour. Worst pain of my entire life.

Biggest Academic Accomplishment: Leaving work to go on maternity leave? Hehe.

Best Freebies: The diapers my mom keeps buying us :)

Best Bringer Home of the Bacon: That would have to be the husband, as he’s gotten somewhere around 3 raises this year. Though I’m not doing too badly, considering I still get a paycheque (though considerably smaller than pre-baby) for getting to stay home with Ellery.

Best I Fought The Law Moment (and I Won): Hmm, I haven’t had too many run-ins with the law this year that I can recall…and when I really think about it, I don’t even think I had to talk/flirt my way out of a speeding ticket this year. Yay me!


Wow. I just realized how much of that had to do with Ellery. Ah well, she was the biggest event in a very long time, and I wouldn’t change any of that – even the labour – for anything. Here’s to a wonderful 2009!

11 Comments:

Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

Sweetie - you love baby pablum?? :P
xo

5:59 PM  
Blogger cmacc said...

Horton Hears a Who is a fab movie and you will probably know it word for word in, ohhhh, about 4 years from now. :)

8:34 PM  
Blogger tz said...

isn't that amazing the love you feel for a child, how overwhelming it can be at times!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Slyde said...

you just like 2008 so much because its the year you met ME...

10:57 AM  
Blogger terri said...

You have definitely had an amazing year. But can I ask a question? What the heck is baby pablum?

8:30 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Yeah, 2008 was an eventful year wasn't it? It was fun being able to share it with you! Wonder what 2009 has stored up for us?

5:58 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I like Gerber rice cereal (pablum)but haven't had any since my son was a baby. MMMMM

2:11 PM  
Blogger Teresa Killam said...

I love checking out your blog - especially since you actually write things - I aspire to write again one day, but for now, its all photos of the little ones that took over my life... happy new year from sunny AB.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Princess - Yeah, I love it. Bizarre, I know :)

BPM - I can't wait :)

TZ - Completely overwhelming, but amazing.

Slyde - You know me too well ;)

Terri - Baby pablum is rice cereal for babies. I'm not sure how else to explain it...but it's usually the first thing you feed your baby in the way of solid foods. Does that help?

Rock Chef - It was an amazing year, and I can't wait to see what's coming next!

Judy - Thank you!! Finally someone who gets it!

Teresa K - When you write again, I'll be reading, but I love the pictures you post! Those babies are gorgeous :)

12:43 AM  
Blogger Ali Kat said...

It's pretty amazing how much we can love and talk about our little ones?!? I sure hope she was faking the "O Face" if it was a TV show ;) I too, love "Brothers and Sisters" but only just finished watching season 2, so I've got a while to wait for the third. And, can I have that broccoli cheesy la la la chicken recipe?

8:31 PM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

You sure have had a great year !...I'm even sure this year will be better ! xoxoxox

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home