Thursday, June 05, 2008

Odds and Ends

Ellery, husband and I are in Ontario, staying with my parents. Husband is on holidays at the moment, so we'll be here for nearly three weeks! And his parents literally live across a field and a highway from mine, so we'll be spending a lot of time there too.
I have to confess though, as much as I love everything about my hometown, my family, and this feeling of relaxed familiarity, I miss the city already...more than I thought I would.

Since I've been off work I've been hearing crazier and crazier things about my office and some of the jackasses that run that place. I've got to tell you - the more I hear, the less I want to go back! I was struggling with how I felt about it the last few months of work, and with the garbage that seems to be going down around there I may try to find somewhere else to work while I'm off this year.

I have 4 pounds left to lose before I am at my pre-pregnancy weight, which is great. But I'm going to work on getting below that, and have started using my dad's Bowflex while I'm home, just to kind of kick start my lazy ass. Fingers crossed for me - I am very, very lazy :)

Remember like a bajillion months ago, when I had that author, Gregory Lang, leave me a comment and ask me to write something for his new book? Well I did, and the book came out at the end of May, so I'm hoping to pick up a copy and give it to my dad for Father's Day...I figure what better present for my dad than a book about relationships between fathers and daughters, when one of the stories is actually about us?

I already got my first payment from EI!!! I almost fell off the couch when husband called to tell me that the other day. Imagine! The government paying you in 14 days, when they tell you your first cheque should come in the next 28 days. Miraculous.

Ellery has started smiling. And I'm not talking about gas smiles either. So far the only real ones have been at me, with a couple flashed at husband this morning, but they are most definitely real smiles! She'll listen to me talk, put her mouth into a little O shape, then squeak out a few sounds and I'll start talking right back to her, and she listens very intently before busting out with a huge grin. My heart melts every time.

This Sunday will be my 28th birthday. I have forgotten continually that it will be, and the husband has had to remind me numerous times. I don't think I have ever cared less in my life about my birthday...funny how a teeny little creature can do that to me.

10 Comments:

Blogger tz said...

have a great birthday on sunday...and what a perfect gift...a new baby!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Happy Birthday!

I love it when they get to that stage, you find yourself having all sorts of daft conversations with them - everyone else thinks you have gone totally nuts, of course, but what the heck!

Good luck with the exercise plan, we are rooting for you!

3:06 AM  
Blogger mr zig said...

Oh man, I'd love to spend 3 weeks in the country! I've got to say I'm pretty sad that I'm stuck in the city while you get to be out enjoying fresh air!!!

Work - yeah - haha - I don't blame you for thinking about not coming back... it has become a whacky place!

First parental leave payment from EI already! geesh! They must like you! We had to wait a LONG time - but at least they back payed!

and hey! you'll be outta town for your birthday! Well that sucks! How am I supposed to send the singing clown telegram all the way to where you are? hehe

8:47 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

I'm hoping Mike and I can make it to see you while you're in Ontario and finally give Ellery her birthday present and get to meet her!

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved those first sweet smiles. It's amazing, isn't it?

I hope you have a wonderful birthday!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

Aliiiiiiiiiii....have a wonderful time away.....

Congratulations on the book...when it is out you will have to get us more details so I can take a peek at what my...."famous"... friend wrote....

OMG...I have been thinking about you heaps and wondering how DD is doing....

So glad you posted before I started my 2 weeks clinical placement. I may be MIA for this time....

Oh and a huge HAPPY BIRTHDAY ....hope you have a wonderful wonderful day...

Love Dan x

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you must be having a lucky day with the payment coming so early..

Wow, I would be really interested to find out more about the book too.

Get some pics of those first smiles.. which I am sure you will. Also when they start to laugh.. The first laugh is amazing. We taped A.j's cute baby laugh. It was adorable and so special... It sounded like one of those toy baby dolls.

Also.. Wishing you lots of luck with your exercise program, I am sure you'll lose it easily enough, you sound like you have the determination and the right attitude to do anything well..

Work sux anytime unless you enjoy it.. I think enjoying your job is so important....

Enjoy your time out and time away..

Luv and hugs,
Lesley

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU B-)

6:02 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Happy Birthday, Ali!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Missing you!

3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home