Monday, March 26, 2007

In the Eye of the Beholder

I've been thinking a lot lately about beauty.
But more specifically - the ideals of what others, as well as myself, constitute as beauty.
Granted, everyone has different views, but for the most part if some exotic, lithe, long-limbed, almond eyed woman walked by any of us on the street - we would all agree she was beautiful.
However, we could be on that same street and see a "traditionally" good looking man; clean cut, nice clothes, chiseled jaw and a smile - and ponder over why he was holding hands with a rather plain, awkward, mousy looking woman. We would ask ourselves what he saw in her, and if you are a woman you might think "well I'm as good looking or better than her, I could go out with that guy."
It's very rare that we might think of that situation reversed - like what does that intelligent looking woman see in that attractive man? Although, that could very well be the case - maybe she looked beyond the good looks and saw what a great guy he is beneath all that, or perhaps he did the same for her. But I'm as guilty of the more negative way of thinking as the next person - thinking catty comments in my mind, wondering why certain people are together, and I often wonder what makes me think that way...

One of the girls at work and I were talking about this the other day. She was saying how she thinks her husband is one of the sexiest, most attractive people she knows, but she realizes that other people might not see him the way she does. And I agree with her, I think the same way about my husband - but I realize that other people might not see what I see when I look at him. Just as maybe they look at him and think "why is he with that girl - he could do so much better."

Never have I thought of myself of a beautiful woman. I have occassional moments when I think I might be alright - but those are few and far between. For the most part I feel average, and even ugly on a particularly bad day. I think most women, even the typical "beauties" have ugly days - some of us just have them more often.

I wonder if most people realize that real beauty is in fact, not being physically beautiful at all - but rather a combination of other things. A beautiful spirit, a beautiful soul, beautiful ideals, and of course, physical beauty is just the icing on the cake.
The old adage is true: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's one of the truest statements I've ever heard. And my friends, if you and I should ever meet, I hope that you like me on the outside, but more so because you think I'm beautiful on the inside.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very interesting post - and it raises many good questions, but one thing I know is that you are very beautiful... absolutely gorgeous! You should never ever think of yourself as average! Your husband is one lucky guy!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

You're beautiful inside and out.
I consider myself lucky everyday.
I love you with all my heart. -wink-

10:41 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

You are right - true beauty is a combination of things. I have met many women who look absolutely stunning, but lack the inner beauty to back it up. Similarly I have met many who may lack the 'super model' look, but who have that certain something that makes me think, yeah, she is really something.

People who choose partners based primarily on looks are inevitably disappointed.

3:29 AM  
Blogger mr zig said...

I think as people get older they start to realize that beauty is not just on the outside... when people get older (or should I say more mature) they realize that its a combination of all aspects of that person - like you said, spirit, soul, ideals, and yes of course physical beauty too. Cuz afterall, the physical beauty will fade with time and what is inside will reveal itself...

5:15 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I'm having a Zig moment - not sure what to say, but I completely agree with you. I usually find people attractive due to personality, and very rarely due only to physical features. Profound post!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

*claps* Very true!
I was going to leave a long rambling comment in here, discussing this and such. But I'll try to keep this short. Great subject to blog about! You said many things that I feel about myself.
Audrey Hepburn - “I never thought I'd land in pictures with a face like mine.”

9:13 AM  
Blogger Logzie said...

Could not agree more! Well said!! :0)

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Ali!

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home