Saturday, February 03, 2007

Ali - 1, Winnipeg Police - 0

This morning I decided to go into work for a few hours to get some much needed work done, yes, I am a loser - I will work on a Saturday - and I'll take more home with me when I leave too - sigh.

Anyways, I was hauling ass down Portage Avenue this morning at about 9:30, trying to get to work for when the person with the keys would be there. The speed limit was 60 - I was going 73. A little over I guess (wink).

As I'm rounding a bend in the road I hear the dreaded sound of a police siren behind me. After several seconds of violent cursing I pulled over to the side and waited for the cop.
I watched him as he got out of his car slowly and sauntered towards my window. He was young, maybe 30 or so, not bad looking - and all I could think was "what am I going to use as my excuse for driving fast?"

When he got to my car I powered down the window and he leaned down "Hey there girly, driving a little fast aren't we?" I plastered on my 'oh officer, I am sooo sorry, bat my eyes, turn on the charm, aren't I a cute girl' look and said "Um yes, I'm really sorry, but I'm so late this morning and I just didn't realize how fast I was going." Then he asked me where I was late to and I said that I was a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding and that I had slept in to get my hair done - and that all the bridesmaids were waiting for me and that the bride was in a panic.

Not bad for on the spot, hey?

He looked at me for a moment when I finished talking and asked me for my license, then walked back to his cruiser to run my name through the system. I thought for sure I was busted this time and was going to get a ticket.

After about two minutes he walked back to my car and squated down beside my window - and that, ladies and gentlemen, is when I knew that I was off the hook - he had shifted from 'cop' to 'be a nice guy and tell this little girl that I'm going to let her off the hook this time.'
I opened my window and batted my eyes adoringly with a tiny little smile, looking kind of sheepish, and then he said it..."all right, I'm going to let you off the hook this time because I know that you're really late - but with these icy roads you really need to drive a little slower, okay?"
To which I replied with the perfunctory "oh, thank you so much - I promise to drive slower - thank you soooo much." Then he gave me a wink and walked back to his car.

Sometimes it's great to be a girl.

4 Comments:

Blogger Logzie said...

You are NAUGHTY Ali!!!!!!! :0)

4:09 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Ha, so maybe it is not true that women are better drivers than men - they just get let off more often!

Of course, I do not believe that. I am convinced that if I ever get knocked off my bike it will be a man that does it.

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny Ali! I don't think I could pull that off! Wish I could've seen it!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Bad girl.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home